I remember playing something a bit like this on long train journeys, when everything about getting you from A to B is taken out of your hands- no need to operate a car or bike, no need to concentrate on your steering or technique, and not even any need to navigate. This gives you the wonderful opportunity that we have so little of normally, when you are a very captive audience,unable to distract yourself by doing that little job that just needs to be done, or instead doing the opposite by filling your mind with entertainment TV-style that enables you to have no thoughts what so ever. So something that really gets you to stop and think about your thinking, is worth doing, even when no train journeys are available. Metacognition is the buzzword of the day if you want to file that one away for a rainy day. Bearing that in mind I’d like to thank Pelin from this great blog, Minimalist gunluk/journal, for passing me the baton with the Liebster Award and getting my metacognition going today. As for the title for this post, no point asking Digger about his thoughts, as the answer would still be eggs (sorry, you’ll have to see a previous post to make sense of that one!).
In this blog-eat-blog world, here are the rules:
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers that you think are deserving of the award.
- Let the bloggers know that you nominated them.
- Give them 11 questions of your own.
So here are Pelin’s questions for me and my answers:
- What inspires you?
Sunshine and the thought of wasting it. Better to get out and do something now, in case it isn’t sunny tomorrow. Or in 5 mins. Four seasons in one day on this little rock.
- Do you like reading fiction or non-fiction? A recent favourite?
Fiction: I can’t narrow it down, but three epics it has to include, A fine balance- Rohinton Mistry, The Poisonwood Bible- Babara Kingsolver, A prayer for Owen Meany- John Irving.
- Who is your favourite family member?
Couldn’t say. I’m not sure I can measure ‘favouriteness’.
- If you could wear the same thing everyday, what would you wear?
- What is one song you are listening to lately?
Album playing at the moment, Bob Dylan, The times they are a changing. Quite apt I hope.
- How long have you been blogging?
Less than a month.
- What is your favourite colour?
- What animal do you identify with yourself most?
Now this means we have to put our anthropomorphic stereotypes into play, as how we characterise animals will influence readers perceptions of our answers. Is a fox sly? Is a sloth lazy? Is a bee busy? Break the mould, animal kingdom! But, if we are going down that route the Skinflint Philosopher would have to say a squirrel, hoarding away her nuts for the lean winter months.
- Are you currently working on any goals? If yes, what are they? See the answer above. The reason for the blog is to try and help that happen- if I write it down it isn’t just a pipe dream in my head is it?
We are planning a change in circumstances, but for that to happen, we need a bit more financial security behind us. So we penny-pinch now, with the aim to make that change. Not saying too much at this stage in case things don’t go as planned, but watch this space!
- What are you most attracted to in humans?
Uniqueness. But maybe squirrels look and act unique to all other squirrels. Who knows what goes on in Squirrel-topia.
- What would you name yourself if you had the chance to choose your own name?
And now for the philosophy; a name is just a label, but one we collectively agree on. Does changing a name change the person you are? Big thoughts on this when we were deciding what name to give Tiddler before she was born. How do our choices as parents influence that child’s life in future- what perceptions do names sum up for other people- colleagues, professionals, friends, lovers- who she will meet at different stages of her life? Will Tiddler like or hate her name (not ‘Tiddler’, I mean her actual name in the real world). Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Ok, now to my questions and nominations:
Nominating officially according to the rules, but anyone reading this please feel free to comment your answers too.
1.Maverick- not a blogger but I think would make a great one- maybe this will start you off?
Questions for you to answer if you would like to:
1. How does/did your mother describe you?
2. Do you agree?
3. Do you believe in fate?
4. Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
5. Could you pass the Marshmallow experiment?
6. What could you do tomorrow that would help make you happier?
7. Best form of eggs? (results of this question will be passed on to Digger!)
8. What is the best gift you were ever given?
10. What one thing are you doing for somebody now, that you hope someone will do for you in the future?
11. Do you wear a watch? (subject matter for a forthcoming blog post)
I don’t know about you Pelin, but I found the questions much harder to write than the answers. Maybe that says something about me.